Omaha fire officials said careless disposal of smoking materials led to a fire that severely damaged a house at 15707 Hickory St.
A resident had been smoking on the deck and put the cigarette into a 5-gallon bucket of butts and dry leaves, officials said. He later looked outside and saw flames on the deck.
The family’s dog died in the fire, reported about 10:15 p.m. Tuesday.
Firefighters said on arriving they found flames on the first and second floors and in the attic. The blaze was brought under control in 30 minutes.
Damage was estimated at $125,000 to the structure and $50,000 to the contents.