DES MOINES (AP) — Authorities say three young Iowans died last year after using a new kind of synthetic marijuana.
The Governor's Office of Drug Control Policy disclosed the deaths Tuesday.
Director Steve Lukan said that the news showed that the “quick-changing products are unsafe” and that there is a need to educate people about their danger.
Officials said those who died were in their late teens through late 20s. Officials wouldn't provide details about the deaths.
The Iowa Poison Control Center said those who died had used a compound called 5F-PB-22. Although it's hard to prove the drug was the sole cause of death, it was in the systems of those who died.
The compound is the latest of many synthetic products, often called spice or K2, created to imitate marijuana's effects.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.