909 N. 72nd St.
The first to go, the family who owned Ross' Steakhouse decided to close rather than sell it out of the family. Members of the Lorello family opened the steakhouse in 1959, and it closed in November 1996.
The Original Caniglia's Italian Steakhouse
Seventh and Pierce Streets
Sicilians Cirino and Giovanna Caniglia served steaks here starting in 1946, and also introduced the city to pizza. It was where Cirino started his Italian bakery in 1920 and was also the location of Caniglia's Pizzaria. It closed in July 2005.
Angie's Restaurant and Cocktail Lounge
1001 Pacific St.
Owners Jim and Karen Bonofode closed the restaurant in February 2007 after 30 years in business. A restaurant had operated there since the 1930s.
Mister C's Steakhouse
5319 N. 30th St.
Starting in 1953, Sebastiano Caniglia and his late wife, Mary, turned Caniglia's Royal Boy drive-in, which featured carhops, into a sit-down steakhouse that at its peak could seat 1,400 between indoor and outside spaces. It closed in September 2007.
Caniglia's Venice Inn
6920 Pacific St.
Nuncio “Eli” Caniglia opened Caniglia's Venice Inn in 1957, and his sons, Jerry and Chuck, started working there as children and ran it until its planned closure in May 2014.
THE FINAL FIVE
7220 F St.
Anthony “Tony” Fucinaro Sr. started his namesake restaurant in 1967. An iconic fiberglass steer hanging out
in front has made Anthony's an Omaha landmark. The restaurant opened an adjacent lounge, The Ozone, in 2005.
1620 S. 10th St.
In April 1946, brothers Joe and Al Cascio opened the steakhouse at its current location.
4702 S. 27th St.
The Kawa family dates Johnny's Cafe to 1922, when Frank Kawa began selling sandwiches at his eight-seat pool hall, but the restaurant didn't move to its current location until 1924, which is when it picked up its name. Family lore has it that when Kawa purchased the building, there was already a sign on it reading “Johnny's.” It famously played a role in Alexander Payne's movie “About Schmidt.”
Piccolo Pete's Steakhouse
2202 S. 20th St.
Grace Caniglia married Tony Piccolo Sr. and together they founded Piccolo Pete's in 1934. Their son, Tony Jr., operated it until he retired. Their daughters, Donna Sheehan and Dee Graves, took over in 1999 and operate the restaurant today. The restaurant will celebrate its 80th birthday this year.
4917 Center St.
Louis S. Gorat and his wife, Nettie, opened the restaurant in 1944. Their son, Louis N. “Pal” Gorat, and his wife, Shirley, took over the restaurant in 1960. In 2012, the Gorat family sold the restaurant to Gene Dunn, who remodeled it, restored its historic sign and updated its menu, though the classics — steak and lots of it — remain.