A family dog died in a fire in west Omaha Tuesday night.
Firefighters were called to the fire at 15707 Hickory St. about 10:15 p.m. They arrived to find flames on both the first and second floors and in the attic.
A resident of the house told firefighters that he had looked outside and saw flames on the back deck. He said he had been smoking on the deck and put the cigarette into a 5-gallon bucket full of cigarette butts and dry leaves.
The blaze was brought under control in 30 minutes. The pet was found after the fire was extinguished.
The cause of the fire, officials said, was careless discarding of smoking materials. Damage was estimated at $125,000 to the structure and $50,000 to the contents of the home.