Published Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:01 am / Updated at 4:17 pm
Free tax assistance offered by AARP

Tax season has arrived, with all the dread that entails, but AARP’s Tax-Aide aims to make the process less complicated.

AARP’s Tax-Aide is a free tax-preparation service sponsored in partnership by the AARP Foundation and the Internal Revenue Service.

The program is designed to help middle- and lower-income taxpayers of all ages, with particular attention to those over age 60, with preparing their taxes. No one will be turned away due to age or income, but the service is restricted to Nebraska residents who have earned income only from Nebraska or Iowa.

The service will run through April 15 at various locations around the metro area from now until April 15. The hours are as follows:

* Bellevue Senior Center, 109 W 22nd Ave.: Mondays and Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.

* Crossroads Mall, west corridor, 7400 Dodge St.: Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

* Immanuel Agewell, 6801 N 67th Plaza: Fridays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

* Kids Can Community Center, 4860 Q St.: Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Fridays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

* La Vista Community Center, 8116 Park View Blvd.: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and Wednesdays from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.

* Montclair Community Center, 2304 S. 135th Ave.: Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

* North Christ Child Center, 2111 Emmett St.: Mondays and Tuesdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and Wednesdays from 4:30 to 8 p.m.

* Sons of Italy, 1238 S. 10th St.: Sundays from noon to 4 p.m.

No appointments are necessary, and walk-ins will be helped on a first-come, first-served basis. Plan to arrive no later than one hour before scheduled closing. If schools are closed due to weather, there will be no tax service.

Those who come for services will be asked to complete an intake survey, which is available in advance from Nebraska Tax Aide.

Social Security cards or other official documentation are required for each person and their dependents. A check is also needed to have a direct deposit or charge issued from a bank.

All IRS income forms issued from employers, banks and other institutions must be brought, including employer-provided W-2 forms, SSA-1099 forms and other IRS 1099 forms.

A complete list of materials can be found online at

For questions about the service, call the AARP-Nebraska Information Center at 402-398-9568.

The various host sites provide space for AARP Tax-Aide but do not have knowledge of tax counseling or preparation.

Click here to subscribe
Advertising 402-444-1248