Don't be caught short by health care tax surprise -
Livewell logo
  Get the Mobile App

Don't be caught short by health care tax surprise

WASHINGTON (AP) — It's time to consider the tax implications of health care reform.

Did you buy health insurance in one of the marketplaces? You might be eligible for a refundable tax credit. Taxpayers had the option of estimating their 2014 income to see if they qualified for the credit and then having it applied in advance to the cost of the premiums.

“We have an opportunity in the 2014 filing season to educate taxpayers about what they need to do during the year to avoid problems during the 2015 filing season,” said Nina Olson, the national taxpayer advocate before the Internal Revenue Service and Congress.

Her advice to those taxpayers: Keep the marketplaces advised if there are changes in your circumstances that could affect the subsidy.

“It could increase if you have another child and you want to be able to get the benefit of that,” Olson said. “It could decrease if you have a significant pay increase, if your spouse gets a job, if a child is no longer covered on your plan.”

As a result, some taxpayers could end up owing money to the U.S. Treasury when they file their 2014 taxes next year.

“It may mean that they would have a reduced refund, and many taxpayers depend on their refunds for various things,” Olson said, ... so that will be a rude surprise for these taxpayers. And we can avoid it by having them go into the (marketplaces) throughout the year.”

What about those taxpayers who don't get refunds — between 75 percent and 85 percent do, she said — or those whose refunds aren't big enough to cover what is owed if the subsidy is reduced?

In that case, “the easiest thing is you'll have a refund the next year, and we'll take it out of the refund the next year,” Olson said. “It's a debt on the books. It's an assessed tax, and we can collect it for 10 years and it's just a computer offset.”

While her job is to take on the IRS where necessary, Olson said the agency's role in verifying income for people applying for the health care subsidy has been working well. “They have lessened the time in which they are able to give the answer to the exchange,” she said.

But she said there needs to be more outreach and education about the Affordable Care Act. She called on the IRS to make its website more informative by offering more examples “so taxpayers can recognize themselves if you direct them to a page,” she said.

As for her role, Olson said she speaks for taxpayers, interceding in individual disputes with the IRS and pushing for tax reform. She said she understands the agency's constraints and won't propose changes that are unrealistic. “But I'm not going to take as an answer 'Oh, this is too heavy of a lift,' ” she said.

There are 74 taxpayer advocates around the U.S. — at least one in each state — who work with her, she said.

To qualify for taxpayer advocate assistance, you must show that you face a significant hardship — that the IRS is causing you economic harm, that its systems are not working or that your rights have been violated. “That gets you through the door,” Olson said.

Ask her what challenges taxpayers face and she answers emphatically: “Getting assistance from the IRS. Getting service from the IRS.”

In fiscal year 2013, she said, nearly four out of 10 calls to the IRS did not get through to a person who could help. The average wait time was 17.5 minutes.

Getting IRS assistance is particularly a problem, she said, when it involves identity theft, which remains a major issue, although the number of cases has declined since the IRS put “significant screens” in place. When identify theft occurs, Olson said, the IRS needs to act more quickly to help victims.

“The taxpayer has already gone through an enormous amount of angst and huge inconvenience ... and we do not recognize that in our customer service to them,” Olson said. A victim of identity theft typically speaks with a different person each time he or she calls the IRS, Olson said, and “have to explain their situation over again.”

As for electronic filing, Olson advises taxpayers to look into the IRS's Free File program, which allows people whose adjusted gross income is under $58,000 to file their taxes for free through the IRS site.

“I don't think I should have to pay to file electronically with the IRS,” Olson said. “The IRS in the 21st century should make it available to me for free.”

Copyright ©2014 Omaha World-Herald®. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, displayed or redistributed for any purpose without permission from the Omaha World-Herald.

You may also like

An Omaha World-Herald digital product


Like us on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter. Get weekly health tips via our newsletter.