INDEPENDENCE — Fire officials said an eastern Iowa house fire was started by a tenant who used a propane torch to thaw frozen water pipes.
KCRG-TV in Cedar Rapids reported that the fire began just before 10:30 p.m. Thursday in Independence. Independence Fire Chief Doug Cook said Tristin Beltz was using a torch in a part of a former duplex that was being renovated. Cook said Beltz turned off the torch and went to see if water was flowing in another part of the house. Cook said that when Beltz returned, he saw signs that a fire had started inside the walls.
Beltz escaped the home safely with his wife, three children and pets. The home is owned by Beltz’s mother-in-law. — AP
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.