* * * * * * * * * *
Brad's afternoon edition. Click here to read Brad's morning column.
* Right now the U.S. is in a terrible predicament. We are a nation of people consuming holiday fruitcakes that has no effective health care system in place.
* Military radar is being used to track Santa. That would make Christmas Eve the best night for an enemy invasion. Just sayin'.
* Part of a Nativity scene was stolen from in front of a house in Lincoln. OK, Lincolnites, it may be time to stop talking about how bad crime is in Omaha.
* In Alaska a group of mostly naked people took the "polar bear plunge" into icy waters. Some of these people were expected to be in Omaha for Christmas, but decided they couldn't handle the wind chill here.
* President Obama delayed the deadline to sign up for Obamacare one day. My question: Why is it that Congress always gets a six-month extension to raise the debt ceiling, but when Americans are running slow we get 24 hours?
* Thirteen states are raising their minimum wage before Congress can agree to raise the federal minimum wage. I can't believe these 13 states are not waiting for the most efficient, productive legislative body on the planet to act. #sarcasm.
* The Boise State quarterback, suspended from the Hawaii Bowl for supposedly urinating off a balcony, took a polygraph to clear his name. Happy holidays from the world of college football, everybody!
* A college football player urinating off a balcony? That's awful. But I can think of at least one thing that'd be worse.
* A 15 x 16-ft. yoga room has opened inside Chicago's O'Hare Airport. Now that there are exercise facilities, O'Hare is officially a prison.
* It's smart to open a yoga room in an airport. What better preparation for flying coach than to practice contorting your body into all sorts of crazy positions?
* Now all O'Hare needs is an apartment complex so passengers have a place to live while their waiting for their canceled flight to be rescheduled.
* The U.S. and Canadian women's hockey teams got into a huge brawl. We'll have to be satisfied with this until the hosts of “The View” and “The Talk” finally step into an octagon to settle their feud.
* NFL commissioner Roger Goodell wants to put a team in Europe. After hearing this, Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany said: “Europe? Hmmm...”
* How about that Famous Idaho Potato Bowl giant tater mascot? To prove we're a national of foodies, at some point during the third quarter someone took a bite out of him.
* Retired Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher appeared in a stage presentation of “A Christmas Carol.” During the performance Scrooge was sacked three times.
* A fan was kicked out of a game in Miami for wearing a “Dolphins Speedo.” Remember when you thought the attire of shirtless, cheese-head-wearing NFL fans couldn't get worse? It just did.
* A Chicago Bears fan wore a cheese grater on his head for a game with the Packers at Lambeau Field. The Dolphins fan in the Speedo said, “Well, that looks dumb.”
* There's a new thing in Russia called “chess boxing” where two competitors alternate playing chess with punching each other in the face. At first I thought I was watching the New Mexico Bowl halftime show.