* * * * *
This is Brad's afternoon edition. To read the morning edition, click here.
* * * * *
* My power was out for about two hours Monday morning when it was 3 degrees outdoors. Apparently it was a neighborhood outage and not due to recent jokes I've written about OPPD, as first feared.
* Some roads in Omaha are so slick and snow-packed that shoppers are arriving at Nebraska Crossing Outlets being pulled by sled dogs. "Mush! Get me to the sales."
* Protesters in Kiev toppled a statue of Lenin. Fortunately officials have the actual embalmed Lenin looking good as ever to erect in place of the statue.
* Because of inclement weather around the nation over 3,000 airline flights have been canceled. Due to the domino effect airline travel should return to normal around March 2019.
* After upsetting Ohio State, some Michigan State fans set their couches on fire - it's a tradition. It's bad enough a Big Ten team won't make the BCS title game, but now the conference is known nationally as "that league full of couch burners."
* Michigan State fans set couches on fire. Why can't they be normal like other college fans and just tear down the goal posts and dump 'em in the nearest river?
* Nebraska will play in the Taxslayer.com Gator Bowl. As every die-hard fan will tell you, the dot-com bowls are one step up from the bottom of the barrel bowls named for fast food franchises.
* The Nebraska men's basketball team trailed Creighton by 30 points in the first half. Knowing the attitude of eternally optimistic Tim Miles, he probably told his team: "We got 'em right where we want 'em, guys."
* On Friday author Stephen King joined Twitter, where he's now known as “the least dark person on Twitter.”
* The latest cast of “The Bachelor” has been unveiled. There's an upgrade. This season the Bachelor and all the contestants will be sharing two brains.
* Paris Hilton has released a new music single. I prefer a recording with better harmony, more subtlety and greater lyrical nuance - the dogs barking “Jingle Bells.”
* Kenny Bell recently said he'd play for Bo Pelini against a team of demons “at the gates of the underworld.” And, I believe a team of demons did get a bowl bid.
* Several Husker football recruits may have attended last week's Jay Z concert at Pinnacle Bank Area. Coaches rushed all the recruits out when someone remembered that Jay Z is now a sports agent.
* SI.com ran a photo gallery from another website of how NFL quarterbacks would look bald. Who says there's no serious sports journalism online?
* The Atlanta Braves are moving to the wealthy suburb of Cobb County. It'll create lots of jobs. Today they hired the first stadium escargot vendor.
* Dennis Rodman has a new line of signature vodka - strong stuff. Two shots and you dye your hair green and claim you're friends with Kim Jong Un.