He's been dubbed “the most hated man on the Internet” and was set to appear at an Omaha nightclub, but a social media backlash led the venue to cancel the event.
Hunter Moore, who was behind the now-≠defunct but notorious pornographic website Is Anyone Up?, had been hired for a DJ set at Omaha's Capitol Restaurant and Nightclub.
The announcement caused a stir on Facebook and Twitter, and hundreds of people called for a boycott of the venue, while others planned to protest the show. Hundreds also posted complaints to the Capitol club's social media pages.
Late Tuesday, the club stated on Facebook that it was surprised by the backlash and had canceled the event.
“After your outpouring of concern and researching Moore's past endeavors, we have made the decision to rescind our invitation to Moore,'' the club said.
“We apologize for not doing more research on him earlier, and for our initial reaction to your concern. We now understand the damage he and his site caused and empathize for those hurt. Capitol will not be bringing Moore to Omaha. We appreciate you bringing your concerns to us.''
Club management could not be reached directly for comment.
For his part, Moore sent expletive-filled tweets to various people, and despite the club's announcement, he said on Twitter that the gig was still on and moved to another location.
Is Anyone Up? was a porn site filled with private, explicit photos of men and women.
Dubbed “revenge porn,” some of the content was submitted by ex-boyfriends and ex-girlfriends, and some was allegedly collected by illegal hacking.
The site also listed subjects' social media profiles alongside the explicit photos and sometimes included names of their employers and family members.
Megan Hunt, a fashion designer who is involved with various local events, wrote a lengthy post on Facebook asking others in the Omaha business community to stop hosting events at Capitol.
Perhaps the club didn't understand how hurtful Moore has been to women, Hunt told The World-Herald. Moore and his followers, she said, are a real danger for women.
“I'm just reaching out to my fellow community leaders to stop booking there,” Hunt said. Promoting Moore's events is akin to “promoting degradation and violence against women,” she said.
More than 100 people shared Hunt's online comments and decried Moore's scheduled appearance.
Earlier Tuesday, the club responded to criticism and said booking Moore as a DJ was not a show of support for his website or his past.
Moore has been the subject of a defamation lawsuit and an FBI investigation. The site was taken down in 2012, but Moore still has thousands of loyal followers. Some continue to submit racy photos to his Twitter account.
A recent article published on xojane.com, a news and issues website aimed at young women, told one woman's story about going after Moore when pictures of her daughter were published on Moore's website. The story has become a viral hit.