August 20 is known as National Lemonade Day.
Though lemons are known for their tart taste, there are many health benefits to regularly including them in your diet.
And it's easy to do so. Squeeze a lemon into a glass of water every morning or use a lemon to add flavor to grilled chicken or salads.
Five health benefits of lemons:
1) Lemons are rich in the antioxidant vitamin C, which according to the National Cancer Institute, might reduce the risk of cancer.
2) Vitamin C is also essential for making collagen, which can improve skin health and fight wrinkles.
3) According to the American Urological Association, lemonade or lemon juice can eliminate the occurrence of kidney stones.
4) Lemons are known as "diabetes superfoods," according to the American Diabetes Association because they are high in soluble fiber and vitamin C, and can help control diabetes.
5) Lemons contain the compound limonene, which can lower cholesterol. Potassium found in lemons can help lower blood pressure.