Retailer interest in the Nebraska Crossing Outlets mall in Gretna is so strong that the developers already are considering an expansion to make room for 20 more stores.
A $15 million, 100,000-square-foot expansion could open in late 2014, developer Rod Yates of OTB Destination said Wednesday.
He said the expansion could qualify for the same tax incentives already being used to help finance the $112 million, 350,000-square-foot mall now under construction. Going forward would depend on securing more tenants, providing enough parking and getting city approval.
There are five remaining storefronts available out of the 65 currently planned for the mall, expected to open Nov. 15 at the intersection of Interstate 80 and U.S. Highways 6 and 31.
Yates said more national retailers are taking note of the project, in part because of the tenants already committed, including Coach, Nike and Under Armour, and also because of the focus on technology. CenturyLink will provide 1-gigabit internet service, and a software platform will connect retailers to customers.
“It's just raised the bar here for Omaha and created a lot more interest than we initially thought,” Yates said. “We've heard from the brands, the retail community — there's desire to expand the center already.”
Several tenants already committed to the project — including some that haven't been named — focus on a teen audience, Yates said, while some of the tenants interested in leasing space in an addition are geared more to the “affluent female shopper.”
“More New York-based-type retailers that we haven't gotten designed in the first phase would be our target retailers for the expansion,” he said.
The expansion also could include more storefront-sized eateries.
Yates said he would not move forward on an expansion unless he had 70 percent of the space committed. Then an expansion would have to prove feasible on the available land. Project architect Larry Smith said the development includes about five parking spaces for every 1,000 square feet, and the expansion would require about 500 more spots on top of the current 1,800. That might require double-decker parking.
An expansion would max out the available land, Yates said.
Gretna City Administrator Jeff Kooistra said adding on would require city approval.
“It would be great for that development and for the city itself,” he said.
To date, these are the businesses that will open at Nebraska Crossing Outlets:
• Adidas: Sporting goods, footwear and apparel for men and women
• American Eagle Outfitters: Trend-setting apparel for men and women
• Ann Taylor: Women's fashion apparel and accessories
• Banana Republic: Stylish casual and workplace fashions for men and women
• Brooks Brothers: Apparel and accessories for men and women
• Carter's: Baby and children's clothing, gifts and accessories
• Chico's: Exclusively designed clothing and accessories for women
• The Children's Place: Children's clothing and accessories
• Claire's: Jewelry and accessories for young women
• Coach: Purses, handbags, footwear, leather goods and accessories for men and women
• Cole Haan: Shoes, accessories and apparel for men and women
• Converse: Men's, women's and children's footwear and sportswear
• Corning: Dinnerware and bakeware
• Crabtree & Evelyn: Bath and body products, fragrances, gifts and gourmet foods
• Dressbarn: Contemporary women's apparel
• Eddie Bauer: Men's and women's classic and outdoor clothing and accessories and gear
• Famous Footwear: Brand name, athletic, casual and dress shoes for men, women and children
• Gap: Casual apparel for men and women
• Gold Toe: Formal, everyday and casual socks for men, women and children
• Gymboree: Children's clothing and accessories
• Helzberg Diamonds: Diamonds, jewelry and gifts
• J. Crew: Women's and men's apparel, professional and casual
• Johnston & Murphy: Shoes, leather goods and accessories
• Journeys: Footwear and accessories for teens and young men and women
• Justice: Fashion apparel for girls ages 7 to 14
• Kay Jewelers: Jewelry and gifts
• Kitchen Collection: Kitchen tools and products, including KitchenAid, Krups and Cuisinart
• Lane Bryant: Women's plus-size apparel and accessories
• Levi's: Jeans and casual wear for men, women and children
• Lids: Hats, caps, NFL, MLB, NBA and other team apparel
• Loft: Fashion apparel and accessories for women
• Lucky Brand: Vintage jeans, tops and other clothing and accessories for men, women and children
• Maurices: Dressy, career and casual apparel for girls and women, sizes 1-24
• Michael Kors: Classic sportswear and fashions, footwear and apparel for women by designer Michael Kors
• Motherhood Maternity: Apparel for expectant and new mothers, including Heidi Klum and Jessica Simpson brands
• Nike: Athletic footwear, apparel and equipment
• OshKosh B'gosh: Children's clothing and accessories
• Polo Ralph Lauren: Apparel, accessories and fragrances for men and women
• Rue21: Casual clothing for young women and men
• Skechers: Shoes and accessories for men, women and children
• Sunglass Hut: Lifestyle, sport and performance sunglasses for women
• Swarovski Crystals: Cut crystal, gemstones, watches and accessories
• Under Armour: Athletic apparel, footwear and accessories
• White House Black Market: Black and white apparel with seasonal color splashes for women
• Wilsons Leather: Leather jackets, coats and handbags for men and women
• Auntie Anne's: Pretzels, snacks and drinks
• Bakery Express: Gourmet desserts, doughnuts, pastries, sandwiches, salads and soups
• Scooter's: Omaha-based food and coffee shop
• Subway: Submarine sandwiches, drinks and snacks