Douglas County Attorney Don Kleine struggled to find the right word to describe the rape and beating death of a 93-year-old woman.
Despicable. Disgusting. Horrific.
His chief deputy, Brenda Beadle, finished the thought.
“Nauseating,” she said. “It just makes you sick.”
Kleine added an official description to the list Thursday: first-degree murder.
That's the charge now faced by Sergio Martinez-Perez, 19, in connection with the Sunday attack on Louise Sollowin at the South Omaha home that she had lived in since World War II.
Kleine said autopsy results indicated that Sollowin died of blunt-force trauma to her head and body. Family members say she was beaten so badly that blood covered the room and her face and body were riddled with broken bones.
The county's top prosecutor said he is charging Martinez-Perez under Nebraska's felony-murder rule, which applies to deaths that occur during the commission of another crime, such as sexual assault or burglary. As such, Martinez-Perez will not face a separate first-degree sexual assault or burglary charge.
Omaha police — called to the home during the attack by Sollowin's daughter, who also lives there — say they found Martinez-Perez, naked and asleep, on top of Sollowin.
Martinez-Perez reportedly told police that he had been drinking all night and was “angry at women” because he had been rebuffed by a woman at a bar earlier that night.
He also told police that he has been in the Omaha area for only a few months. Federal authorities have begun proceedings to determine his immigration status.
The savage beating death left Sollowin's family reeling.
“You can't compare cases because they're all horrible,” Kleine said. “This is in the unimaginable realm.”