* * * * * * * * * *
Brad's morning edition. Check back this afternoon for more jokes from Brad.
* Sunday was Father’s Day. There were millions of phone calls that went like this: “I love you, Dad.” “I love you too.” “I love you both - this is the NSA.”
* In a sign of the times, kids texted dad on Father’s Day; Dad replied back on Instagram, and nobody had to actually meet.
* A new interim mayor of Omaha has been sworn into office. It’s the president of ESPN. With the College World Series in town, he will be calling all the shots in the city for the next two weeks.
* Friday night a traditional CWS opening ceremony was held. That’s when Mom and the kids wave sparklers out the windows of the car as Dad speeds away from the approaching thunderstorm.
* The College World Series opening ceremonies were hit by strong winds, lightning, thunder and nickel-sized hail. It was so bad an LSU fan almost stopped partying outdoors.
* Despite the severe thunderstorm, an abbreviated fireworks show took place at TD Ameritrade Park. Omaha is the only place where we’d brave an apocalypse to get the fountains in.
* There was $2,000 in damage around TD Ameritrade Park. Three NCAA-sanctioned souvenir CWS T-shirts were destroyed.
* The word “College” in College World Series was inadvertently spelled “Colllege” on the third-base TD Ameritrade Park dugout. I’ll tell you one thing - this never would’ve happened at Rosenblattt.
* An alert observer was credited for noticing the mistake. Is that what it’s come to in the U.S.? It takes an alert observer to notice that there are not three l’s in “College”?
* The Big Ten baseball team in the College World Series, Indiana, won its first game. If you can’t get to a game, just rent the movie where the “Bad News Bears” make it to the championship round.
* How about those Louisville uniforms? Players look like they came from a garage sale at Lady Gaga’s house.
* There are all kinds of activities for out-of-town CWS visitors. There’s the zoo, the Durham, Joslyn; oh, and LSU fans are invited to go “muddin’” in the Gene Leahy Mall.
* This is interesting. Instead of doing something about the giant mud pit that is the Gene Leahy Mall, the city is hiring mimes to distract passers-by.
* Mayor Jean Stothert described her first week in office as “enjoyable.” And members of Stothert’s staff described their first week as, well, “no comment.” Have to clear it with the mayor first.
* I read that President Obama spent Father’s Day with his closest loved ones. The cast of “The View” said they were honored and humbled to have been invited.
* Breaking news. The NSA whistleblower, in “hiding,” is negotiating to be the next “Bachelor.” With every rose he gives a woman, he will reveal another government secret.
* While speaking at an event, U.S. Rep. John Yarmuth said, “...Mitch McConnell sucks.” I don’t know about you, but I am sick of members of Congress mincing words.
* Here’s the amazing thing. That was the most complimentary thing a member of one party has said about a member of the opposing party this year.
* This shows how far politics has degenerated. Remember when our leaders used to utter “Four score and seven years ago...” and “Ask not you country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country”? Now we get “McConnell sucks.”
* Russian President Vladimir Putin and his wife Lyudmila are getting a divorce. It’s a typical Russian divorce. She gets custody of the potatoes; he gets to visit.
* Kim Kardashian gave birth to a baby girl on Saturday. Because the baby is a Kardashian, she’s already talking.
* The doctor slapped the baby and then slapped Kanye West.